Welcome to Clint Small Middle School!
If you are interested in a tour of our school, please contact Rachael Steyaert at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-841-6734.
New Student Orientation
Every year, we offer several orientation camps and meetings for new families. While these events are mainly geared toward incoming 6th graders, anyone in 7th or 8th grade who is new to our school may also attend any of these events:
- Cougar Camp (a.k.a. Transition Camp): This half-day, week-long camp is held each summer on the CSMS campus. New students learn their way around the building, receive an overview of how things work at Small, play fun games, and socialize. There is a nominal fee associated with this camp, which includes a t-shirt. NOTE: If you missed Cougar Camp registration, please contact us to see if space is still available. We do everything possible to accommodate last-minute participants.
- Passport to Success: Traditionally held the weekend before school starts, this an opportunity for new students to visit the school, complete registration, pick up schedules (6th graders only — 7th and 8th graders receive their schedules on the first day of school during PRIDE class), find their classrooms, and buy PE clothes and CSMS swag. Parents can also sign up for the PTA and other volunteer opportunities. It is helpful to most 6th graders to attend Cougar Camp and Passport to Success, but not required.
- Parent Camp: As the fall semester approaches, this orientation meeting is scheduled in the evening a few weeks before school begins. Parents have the opportunity to meet campus administrators and listen to a thorough presentation that provides an overview about how things work at CSMS (and middle school in general) so parents can be prepared and feel comfortable about the transition.
If you have questions about these events, please contact the front office at 512-841-6700.
If you are unable to attend any of these events, do not worry! During the first week of school, the staff is always ready to help each child find their way, learn their schedules, and get used to the way things work. On the first day, we post a list of the assigned PRIDE classes (this is like an advisory or homeroom class).
When students arrive on the first day of school, they need to find their name on the list and report directly to their assigned PRIDE classroom. The PRIDE teacher will guide them through their entire first day, and they will have a chance to visit each classroom and meet each teacher they’ll have for the first semester.
Teachers give out supply lists AFTER school starts because needs vary widely by subject and classroom. If you would like to stock up on basics before school starts, here the most recent list of recommended basics.
Campus News & Events
As soon as you enroll your student, we recommend signing up to receive the Cougar News, our weekly e-newsletter, and subscribing to the CSMS Google calendar.
Also check out the following additional communication channels:
- Official CSMS Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Clint-Small-Middle-School-158631217489809/)
- Parent-led Parents of Small Middle School Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/SmallMiddleSchoolParents/)